About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Michael Wesch: Toward a New Future of Whatever

Pencil drawing of a male student wo is having problems with figuring something out and alas he screams, WHATEVER!
This video was eye-opening. In my personal life, I am constantly using the word, "whatever!" I use it in all contexts however. I never thought of it as meaning I was self-centered; interesting description. In the classroom I would never use the word in a negative connotation with my students because they may develop the same narcissistic meaning of the word much of the world has. The future meaning of the word should embody a universal meaning of, according to Wesch, "I care. Let's do whatever it takes...by whatever means necessary." I believe that as a society we should be more positive so we ensure that our future leaders are positive. In my personal life, "whatever" is used neutrally if that is possible. I say "whatever" quite often but I do not necessarily use it in a negative connotation.


As a student, I use the word quite often and, normally, it is under negative circumstances. If a teacher assigns something that I think is irrelevant of bogus, it gets a "whatever." If the teacher makes a comment about something or gives extra work or cancels a class at the last minute, it gets a "whatever." Basically if it is not to my liking...whatever! After watching the video, I realize how negative the word is and how it affects me as a person. As an instructor, it is my duty to get my children to see how limiting the word is negatively. Instead they should use the word more positively. The word can also be a sign of frustration and it is our duty as instructors to get our students out of this type of thinking and when they do not understand something they should be thinking, "What can I do differently to get the answer; no matter hw long it takes to get the answer, I can do it."

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review Alexis. Please correct the spelling in the last sentence, "no matter hw long", and I do not want to hear a "whatever" about this ;)

    Personally, I have never liked to hear people say "whatever". It gives me the impression, they just do not care. When a child says it, I consider it disrespectful to their elders.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete