About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This Is How We Dream

In three quarter profile, Mr. Miller poses with a smile in a black suit and green shirt and reading glasses on his face.
This was a very interesting video. It involved constant movement and it seemed like it was done with a Mac because of the dual screens and ability to slide something out of the way and pull something else up; it was neat. The statement, "...living at moment of greatest change of human communication in human history." This is a very powerful statement. I think it is a true statement. Human communication has changed and continues to change everyday. Now we can connect to the Internet and stay updated on what is going on in the world in real time. We do not have to wait for it to be printed before we can have access to the information.

Richard Miller was raised in a house filled with books. Not all of us have that privilege to be around text like he was, however. But the presence of books geared him in the direction to dream about a job that involved him working with books. Now composition does not only involve text. We can also incorporate images and movies. Being able to view things and view changes as they happen is also an example as to how human communication has evolved. He also spoke about the ideas not belonging to the individual but are shared and belong to us a society. This is evident with iTunes U. Even if you are not a college student, you can listen to lectures about anything you want and learn!

In closing, I would like to expound on one important thing Mr. Miller said in his movie: the limits are ones we place on ourselves. This is true, not only here, but in general. It is important for us as educators to think outside the box and try new things. Excuses get us no where and we are hindering our students by sticking to the old ways of doing things. Change is good and necessary.
I am not ready to write a multimedia nor do I believe I will be able to teach my students how to do it. But who knows, before I am done with this class there is no telling what I will be able to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment