About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Networked Student

Mrs. Drexler is an avatar.  She is wearing a red shirt and black pants.  There is a pencil in her right hand and a composition tablet in her left hand.  The avatar is standing in front of blue lockers.
I was shocked to see that everything that was included in the movie were things we are learning in class. We only attend class once a week and we have no textbook but we are learning new things and able to build upon what we have learned outside of the classroom as we do with our weekly blogs. I had never written a blog and I always wrote them off as if I would never have one of my own. But here I am; sharing my thoughts with the world and open to criticism. That is the one thing I have to deal with because not every one is going to agree with what you have to say which is another reason as to why I despised blogs. The same is true with Twitter. I was not interested in Twitter (my interest has yet to be fulfilled) but by using it, I understand that I can build relationships with others in my profession and with others who are knowledgeable about education. Networking is very important and I have always believed that to be true.

When we were told about audio and video podcasts, I thought it was very interesting until we had to do one on our own in front of one another. The podcasts are not very appealing to me. We have not learned much about Skype but I do believe that I will more excited to learn about it.

The networked student needs an instructor because the instructor educates the student on how to get started. If the student has any questions, he or she can come to their instructor for help. It is the instructor's responsibility to get the student on the right track and be their for support. The instructor motivates the student and helps him or her to maintain the network he or she has established.

In short, I do believe the things we are learning do make for a more well-rounded individual in the 21st century. If we introduce this early on then students will have more time to work with the technology and apply it everyday. What I worry about most is that this will not reach our students in the inner city schools. They are the ones who I really believe will benefit from being a networked student. If we can incorporate this into the curriculum of all instead of some, then I truly believe we can achieve a 21st century filled with networked citizens.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alexis,

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. The best way to feel more confident using these tools as a teacher is to use them for your own professional development first. Before you know it, it is second nature. I have to laugh at your profile. I didn't think there was a place on Earth with humidity as bad as it is here in west central Florida.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your immediate response. It is awful here. I visited Ft. Lauderdale about 2 spring breaks ago and it was awesome. Here, I feel sticky and sweat before I get to the car!

    ReplyDelete