About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Media Literacies Project

The New Media Literacies Project uses technology to cultivate a more knowledgeable society in regards of understanding our multicultural and diverse world through media. It equips our students with social skills. The team is working to get the NML skills implemented into the curriculum of each state. They stress a "participatory culture." Students, our future, need to adopt skills of brainstorming, team work, leadership, problem solving, collaborations and communications. All of these skills are used both inside and outside of the classroom. Students will be prepared to face the world; a very diverse world. As educators, itis our responsibility to equip our students with these skills so they are productive individuals.

It is their goal to help educators to develop a curriculum that will help us to integrate these skills in our classrooms. Our students have already become media creators due their profiles created on Facebook and mySpace. They do not know it, but they are already heaqded into the right direction. Also students are making and sharing podcasts and classroom blogs all over the world. They are particpating in the world-wide spread of knowledge. However, there are challenges such as the participation gap. There are unequal access to experiences and skills students need to become participatory citizens and artists. These inequalities can be seen in our inner city schools that are not well funded.

2 comments:

  1. Well Alexis, you were off to a very good start... what happened to this post? Where is my 4th post? Good job on your research. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about it; so busy focusing on the previous one. I will have it up in a minute. Sorry:(

    ReplyDelete