About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dr. Alice Christie's Google Earth™ Resource Guide

Dr. Alice Christie is dressed nicely and, with a smile, she is looking forward with a blue back drop.
After exploring the Google Earth section of Dr. Christie's site, I realized how it could be applied to the classroom. However, I do believe that it is very limited in its use my classroom. With it I can educate the students on calculating length, width and height. I can use these lessons and switch them up in Trigonometry and Algebra. The numbers the students get in Google Earth from measuring the distance and length between two points they can find sine, cosine and tangent. Also, they can use these number with the Pythagorean Theorem.

I also took a look at some of her publications. I found the "Perceptions of High School Students and the Graduate Students They Mentored" to be very interesting. I never would have thought the tables would have been turned like that. But I do believe that, as adults, we can always learn something from those who are younger than we are. Also I enjoyed reading "Recognizing (Almost) Invisible Gender Bias In Teacher-Student Interactions." This is true as I think back to being in school. It was always so annoying for the boys to interrupt even the teacher and it is okay. It is not like that anymore now that we are in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment