About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The New Media Literacies Video

Picture of a laptop opened with graphics on the screen.
The New Media Literacies video offered some new terminology that I was not aware of at all. I just so happen to possess a few of these qualities. My favorite would have to be that good old multi-tasking. I use it everyday. It is very useful but it can be stressful if you are not able to handle several different tasks at once. Also exercising good judgement is universal but here it is important to know what is and what is not a reliable source. Collective intelligence is useful in the classroom for myself as a student now and as a future teacher. I can share notes with my fellow classmates to work toward the common goal of passing an exam. As a teacher, I can have my students to post their notes as blogs to share for their peers who may have missed school.
In my mathematics class, the knowledge of and the ability to use manipulatives in my classroom will be an aid to help students to have a visual of what they are learning. This is a way to measure the students' distributed cognition. I feel like I use this ability everyday when I learn something new on the computer. Play uses your surroundings as a means of problem solving. Students can measure the length, width and height of a wall and find measurements in the classroom for example. An individual having the knowledge to enter different groups and spaces, such as groups on Twitter or Facebook, is reference to negotiation.

Appropriation in the classroom is necessary in the sense of diversifying curriculum that only focuses on one group instead of all groups. Teachers will have to change up the readings or examples to reach all students. This is especially important in a classroom primarily made up of minority students and no students of the majority. Performance, to me, is the execution one step forward from appropriation. It is not so much the execution of it but once you use this skill in the classroom, you may have to take it a step further by acting out or performing for the students to get them to see what you are trying to say. I think of it as trying to explain what an acute angle, an obtuse angle and a right angle are. Using my arms or legs, I can show my students what I am talking about. Which also ties into simulation, only simulation is a more interactive approach; the students are involved like when we took driver's ed in high school. Networking is the ability for an individual to be able to research information and put it into his or her own words. Once you research information, you will have multiple sources and your ability to follow what is given about that topic is referred to as transmedia navigation. I do not totally possess this skills, but with further research and experience, I am sure I can master them.

I can definitely see why these skills can be seen as needed to be an effective 21st century citizen. I think they are all important. They can be used in different aspects of one's life; not just in technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment