About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Comment4Kids

Children, literally, on top of te world reaching for the stars.  Computers are on the picture which are connecting the children to one another.  The children are on different continents and are of different races.
I really enjoyed this experience. The students were very illustrative, although some struggled with sentence structure, spelling and fragments. I can appreciate Mr. Goerend's effort to involve technology in a useful way for his students. These are 6th grade students and, potentially, a group I will be working with once I graduate from the University of South Alabama. I gave positive feed back to the students concerning their creativeness in story-telling. I gave the same critique to all of the students: Make sure you proof-read to eliminate all errors. I did not want to go in depth with them because I am not a certified teacher neither am I their teacher.

The first story I read belonged to Miranda and was titled "One Great Homecoming." She told a story about a football game she attended with her friends. Her story was so illustrative. Without the use of pictures, I felt like I was there. The football team won the game! The second story I read belonged to Zach and was titled "The Waukee Ankney Game." He also spoke about the football game. His story was more related to the statistics and actual game unlike Miranda who spoke about the setting of the game. Zach had many errors but I remained positive with my comment. The fourth story I read belonged to Emma and was titled "Homecoming." Emma's story told about what she did before the football game which was chow down on some Pizza Hut pizza; every child's daily dream. It is a wonder that these students love football. I am sure they saw each other at the game.

The third story I read belonged to Aaron and was titled "Jacob and the 4th." Jacob told of his day before the 4th of July and the day of the holiday. He waited impatiently for the arrival of his friend Jacob as they prepared for the activities of the holiday. There was a block party in his neighborhood and they had a famous water balloon fight. Hot dogs, of course, was the meal of choice! The fifth story I read belonged to Matt and was titled "The Day I Got My New Puppy." This was a lovely blog because I love dogs myself. The student, upon returning from Alaska with his family, goes to pick out a new pet dog with his sister from an animal shelter. Although their mother preferred a cat, the two were very adamant about getting a dog to bring home. Her name was Piper but they changed it to Miss Piper because her name had to begin with an M. I thought that was so cute! But the topping on the cake was the "little yellow accident" Miss Piper had on the way to Pet Smart!

1 comment: