About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

ACCESS: Alabama Connecting Classroom, Educators and Students Statewide

This is a picture of a laptop with the world coming out of the screen. This is an image depicting distance learning.
Alabama Connecting Classroom, Educators and Students Statewide (ACCESS) was launched on November 1, 2004 and funded $10.3 million on October 1, 2005 under Governor Bob Riley. The purpose of ACCESS was to, "provide equal access to high quality instruction to improve student achievement through distance learning opportunities." It is available to all public high schools in the state. It includes web based and Interactive Videoconferencing (IVC) courses taught by "highly qualified" educators. ACCESS supports distance learning within the state. It provides access to advanced diploma and AP courses and supplemental resources. It also provides instructors with technology and tools needed to make classroom instruction better. Since its launch, ACCESS has increased course offerings and enrollments at participating schools. These schools are provided cameras, routers, projectors, training and anything else that pertains to this project. ACCESS is also in the process of getting parents involved which I think is crucial for this to be more of a success. Parents who are not technology savvy can learn from their children and have a motivating spirit. Students gain confidence that they are able to make it in the competitive world because they possess skills they, otherwise, would not have without this project. With this project, students have a reason to be excited about school and progressing in life.


I think this project can be a huge success if not abused and misused. I appreciate the fact that it is being offered to public schools who may not otherwise have the opportunity to explore the benefits of the Internet. I can see the benefits of having this in my classroom and also see the negative. As I said before, some students will not have access to a computer, let alone the Internet so this project is helping to bridge a gap between low and hig income students. The downside, however, is the lack of interaction between the student and online instructor. I am sure this can be compensated throught the in-class instructor but if students need outside help, they cannot get it unless they have the Internet available to them all of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment