About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

iPods In Instruction

This is a picture of the iTouch device. It is black with small icons of the applications on the screen.
Duke University, in the spring of 2005, gave about 280 students iPods for classes and the number quadrupled in 2006. Students were able to learn outside of the classroom and enjoy doing it. Students were able to connect to other campuses and listen to lectures and communicate with other students. For more information on the Duke Digital Initiative their website and think of ways to incorporate this famous device in your classroom as you read on.

I viewed a powerpoint presentation created by a student who explored the benefits of the iPod Touch in the public school system. He addresses the issue of these devices being a distraction which is a concern of mine also. But as he mentions, "Pencils-now those are the real distractions..." This is so true; from playing pencil pop to sharpening them every ten minutes, pencils are more of a distraction than the iPod. With this device, students can explore the periodic table, math formulae, scientific calculator and much more! The calendar involved the parents because here, they are able to track attendance and upcoming events. Unlike the computers in the classroom that have turned into a recreational tool, the iPod Touch is less expensive.

If you look to the left of the video, you will see links to elementary, middle and high school applications. I clicked on the high school applications link and chose mathematics but there are so many more to choose from. The first one I chose to get a feel for it was the number line. It is a game that tests your ability to put fractions and decimals in ascending order on the number line. Another application, Math Drill Lite tests simple math skills such as addition and subtraction.

I also joined this group on Facebook! Just search: ischool initiative.

4 comments:

  1. Good job Alexis. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the YouTube presentation about the iPod Touch. I predict they will be in public schools before too long. I certainly hope so. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete