About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

At The Teacher's Desk

This is a a piece of paper with the words An important decision I made this year is stay positive. The words an important decision I made this year are typed and in bold. The words stay positive are handwritten in pen.
Mr. McClung explains his first year of teaching. Through self-reflection, he became a better teacher. He was so worried about his assessment that he forgot about his audience, the students. He would beat himself up over failed lesson plans. He stresses the importance of communication between you and fellow instructors. What I appreciated more was instructors setting the bar too high for students and then getting upset and punishing the students for not meeting those goals. Mr. McClung stated that technology is not a monster. It should be taken advantage of in the classroom. I also appreciated him emphasizing that instructors should listen to the students. It is important for instructors to know about the students in the classroom and if you shut them up all of the time you will never know who they are. Although you hold a bachelor's degree, you never stop learning as an instructor. You learn from professional workshops, from co-workers and students. Yes your students can teach you a thing or two especially about technology!

I am terrified about being a first time instructor once I graduate. I think, as Mr. McClung mentioned, that I will be so worried about impressing the principal and other superiors that I will lose sight of being a more effective instructor to my students. Trying to keep up with the No Child Left Behind guidelines and rules is another concern of mine. After speaking to teachers and other students who have spoken to teachers, the paperwork is very stressful. I do not want to be stressed out; I want to enjoy my first year of teaching stress free! Adding to the pressure is not being tenured and possibly losing my job. So if I do not live up to the standards of someone else or if I do not fit in, then I can lose my job. The lack of job security frightens me.

I believe communication is very important in the world period. Effective communication with faculty, parents and students is most important to be a better teacher. Drama at the work place happens but when your work place involves children then you have to be even more careful. Children are very impressionable and if they see their teachers arguing, then they will use that and run with it. The same is true for parents and students alike. I think the best thing is to remain calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment