About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Podcasts

The first podcast that I listened to was the Connect Learning Episode 105 with Clarence Fisher. I was unable to pull up any other podcast but this one. I had no choice in the four that were in our assignment sheets. Honestly, this podcast was so hard to embrace due to the noise in the background. I found it very odd for this conversation to be taking place in a restaurant full of loud patrons. However, I did like what Clarence Fisher had to say.
I think it is very important for students to learn on their own and he does also. He is very insistent on not teaching software to students. He allows them to explore on their own for about 30 minutes or so. After 30 minutes, he has the class come back together and share what they have learned. This way the class is learning from each other as well as the teacher learning from his students. Students are held accountable for their own learning. He also is responsible for a reading and writing checklist for each of his students. Instead of doing the checklists himself, he allows the students to assess their own progress. This way the students see where they are and where they need to be as far as reading and writing are concerned. With this, he makes his students responsible for setting their own goals and responsible for learning. I am all about making students responsible for their learning.
Another point that he brings up is to allow students to bring laptops in the classroom. This is a great idea! We do it in college and it would have made a difference if they were introduced earlier on. The world is moving so fast and our students need to be prepared for the future.
**I found the required podcasts at the last minute so here it is short and sweet. I listened to Connect Learning Episode 90. I enjoyed to listening to the teachers come up with the different ways to use podcasts in the classroom. Students could use a classroom podcast and refer to it while doing homework.**
The second podcast I listened to was Smart Board Lessons. This podcast was clearer than the previous. I could hear the conversation between the two persons and there were no distractions. In this particular podcast, they talked about movies that incorporated math within them. I am a math major and no matter what I do, watch, hear, math is going through my head. Children watch movies but are not thinking about school when they look at the movies that were mentioned (Shrek, Alice in Wonderland, Father of the Bride, Jurassic Park and Mean Girls). There are TV shows I look at that get me thinking about combinations, algebra, logic, etc. The show Numb3rs is a great example. It is based on actual cases that involve using mathematics in order to solve crimes. Who would have thought that you could use mathematics in police work? Everyday y0u hear kids and adults say that they will never use math for this or for that but mathematics is all around us.
Joan Badger purchased 10 iPod touches....10!!!! I never would have seen the need for these in a classroom but according to her there are applications that are very useful in the classroom. I personally would never purchase iPod anything to use in the classroom (just my personal preference). It was compared to a laptop. I do not own one neither have I ever had the privilege to use one either but a laptop? That is a very powerful little device. I know it has Internet capabilities and, from what I heard on the podcast, it can be used as a recorder when a microphone is attached to it.
KidCast was, by far, my favorite. Dan Shmit presented his information in a clear and professional manner. His podcast was not as entertaing as the first two mainly because he was straightforward and did not waste my time with personal stories He gave me pros and cons for using either a video podcast or an audio podcast. The choice is really dependent on what you are doing. In his opinion the audio podcast was the best choice in more cases but if I had to choose between video and audio, I think I would choose video more often. With video podcasting, you are putting yourself out for public critique than with audio. Audio podcasting only requires you to concentrate on your voice and pronunciation. Video podcasting requires you to think about the set; clothing, props and lighting. If I was giving a demonstration on how to bake a cake, I would prefer to use a video podcast for my audience. As he stated, it is all preference. You have to find the media that fits what you are trying to convey.
The EdTechTalk podcast focused on voice thread in the library. I did not enjoy this particular podcast because it was very choppy. There were distractions in the background and, as each person spoke, their voice went in and out. The MacBreak Weekly started out like some of the others. I prefer it if the speakers would just get to the point and stick to it. I do not own a Mac nor do I understand "Mac language." This podcast really did not interest me. I enjoyed the This Week in Photography podcast. I have found a new passion for photography and I am very interested in learning more about cameras and ways to get more out of it. They got off subject at times but for the most part I enjoyed the podcast. They spoke clearly but I did not like the phone calls. It adds to my dislike for syndicated media. It makes me sleepy and reminds me of my grandmother's radio station!!!
This is my first time being introduced to podcasts and listening to them. I am a big fan of iTunes but I only used it for putting music on my iPod unfortunately. I am not a fan of syndicated media at all. But after listening to these educational podcasts, I think I could have a change of heart. These were some interesting audio podcasts with the exception of a few. I am ready to learn how to make my own podcasts and hopefully speak as well as these speakers did!!!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review Alexis. Glad you found the podcast. Keep up the excellent work. Now you know a little bit better how to do your own podcast (videocast) a little later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete