About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Monday, September 14, 2009

Kelly Hines: "It's Not About the Technology"

Picture of a green apple with the map of the world on its surface.  Written across the apple in all capital letters are the words EDURATI REVIEW In Mrs. Hines' post, the importance of technology in the classroom was discussed. Her opinion on how much emphasis should be placed on technology in the classroom is one that I share. I believe technology is important in the classroom but I am one who is eager to learn more about the software and websites that are readily available to me as a future mathematics teacher. I also believe that there is no use in a school system paying for expensive equipment and software when the teacher is not willing to learn more about it. I do think, however, that a teacher would do her class an injustice if he or she did not take the time to learn to be a better teacher. I am not saying that technology should be a sole means to teaching in the classroom but I do think that it is an added bonus.

Mrs. Hines also lists what a successful teacher is. I have listed a couple already but to elaborate on it I will say that a teacher has to be effective and successful before technology is introduced into the classroom. I can appreciate her saying that no matter how long you have been teaching a certain way and no matter how many students got it previously, if there is one student who is not learning, then your plan is ineffective and you have to do what is necessary to make sure that student and everyone else is learning what you are teaching. Just because you are the teacher does not mean you stop learning. The classroom teaches you everyday how to become a better teacher. Basically, technology cannot be implemented until you are able to reach your students without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment