About Me

My photo
I am a Secondary Math Education major. I transferred from Auburn University (WAR EAGLE)!!! I am originally from Birmingham, Alabama and I miss it up there. I am not a fan of the humidity down here. I cannot wait to graduate so I can give my new baby girl everything she wants (and live to regret it lol)!!!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Vicki Davis is a teacher in a rural part of Georgia. Her ideas for using technology in her classroom to broaden her students' perspectives is quite impressive. Students need to be stimulated while in the classroom. The routine of sitting at the desk with paper and pencil, listening to the lecture and taking notes is a thing of the past. This approach may work for some students but not all of them. Students become bored rather quickly. One good way of snapping them out of it is to bring something different to the table; something that they are interested in doing.

I appreciate what she is doing with her students. She does not tell them how to do everything. Once they are introduced to the material, it is their responsibility to learn it and, possibly, educate the teacher and fellow classmates. Allowing the students to be involved keeps them wanting more and wanting to contribute. Once a student figures something out on his or her own, the student's self-esteem soars and that is what we want as educators; confidant students who are not afraid to express themselves nor are they afraid of being wrong and taking a chance. Technology in the classroom has its rewards and it should be implemented.

No comments:

Post a Comment